Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder manifested by breathing interruptions during sleep. Not only can it affect the quality of your sleep, but it can also change your mood and behavior over time. As a family clinic in New Jersey, we list down the common signs of sleep apnea among adults.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF SLEEP APNEA
- Loud snores
- Waking up with a dry mouth or throat due to mouth breathing
- Morning headache
- Gasps for air while sleeping
- Insomnia during sleeping time and hypersomnia during daytime
Note that these symptoms may vary from person to person. Proper medical care is needed to evaluate a patient thoroughly.
WHO ARE AT RISK?
Men are more likely to acquire sleep apnea than women. Furthermore, here are the other risk factors:
- Age (people aged 40 and up are at higher risk)
- Facial features (there’s a greater risk for individuals with a small jaw bone, large tongue, and large nostrils)
- Family history
- A large neck
- Sinus issues or allergies
WHY DO YOU NEED TO SEEK HELP?
Sleep apnea, if untreated, further increases the risks of other medical problems, such as:
- Heart problems
As early as possible, you should undergo a sleep apnea screening to prevent health complications. At Vijay Patel, MD, you can set a home-based screening test, so you don’t have to visit a hospital. For more details, please reach our primary internal medicine doctor in Matawan, New Jersey.